HAVE YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE PRAYED FOR AT THE TOMB OF KING DAVID
PSALMS OF DAVID ARE RECITED 24 Hours a Day 7 Days a Week
Mosdos Kever Dovid HaMelech (The King David’s Tomb Institutions) is a new nonprofit organization dedicated to raising awareness about this holy site and to following in the footsteps of Dovid HaMelech by engaging in prayer and Torah learning to help the Jewish people and bring the final Geula closer.
Where is King David’s Tomb?
King David’s Tomb is a site on Mount Zion, by the Old City of Jerusalem, considered to be the burial place of the biblical king. It is a symbol of prayer and yearning that has become somewhat neglected by visitors since 1967 when Jews were once again able to pray at the Kotel – the Western Wall. Also buried there are King Shlomo, King Chizkiyahu and other biblical kings, as recorded in the Navi (Books of Prophets).
Who was King David?
King David is a central figure of the biblical narrative, a former shepherd who became not only a king and great army general, but also wrote the book of Tehillim (Psalms), established Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel, and purchased the land on which his son built the first Beis HaMikdash (Temple). His name is synonymous with leadership and prayer, courage and conviction, piety and song.
The Importance of this Holy Site
The site of King David’s Tomb, also known as Zion, is the source of blessings and salvation for the Jewish people. “R’Levy says, “All the blessings and the comforts and the favors that Hashem gives to Yisroel, they all come from Zion.” Children – as it says, “May Hashem bless you from Zion…and live to see your children’s children.” (Tehillim 128:5-6). Life – as it says, “Like the dew … that falls upon the mountains of Zion. There the LORD ordained blessing, everlasting life.” (Tehillim 133:3). Livelihood – as it says, “For Hashem has chosen Zion … I will amply bless its store of food, give its needy their fill of bread.” (Tehillim 132:13-15). Blessing – as it says, “May Hashem bless you from Zion.” (Tehillim 128:5). Salvation – as it says, “O that the deliverance of Israel might come from Zion!” (Tehillim 14:7). Torah – as it says, “For the Torah shall come forth from Zion.” (Isaiah 2:3). – Vayikrah Rabbah
שהיה בעת מלוך מלך בישראל שהיו נותנים מס למלך, והיו המלכים מגנים עליהם מכל צר ומשפיעים עליהם כל ההשפעות הטובות,
גם עתה שיתנו מס למלכים, שהם דוד המלך ושלמה המלך ע”ה שהם בבחינת “דוד מלך ישראל חי וקיים”, מלכים חיים וקיימים,
ואמר שאת המס יתנו לציון דוד המלך ושלמה המלך ע”ה כל אחד אלפיים דאלער [2000 $], כדי לקיים “האלף לך שלמה” ועוד אלף לדוד המלך [בבחינת “אאלפך חכמה ואאלפך בינה”]
שזהו המס שנקצב לישועות למעלה מדרך הטבע. ומי שאין ביכולתו ליתן סכום זה בבת אחת יתנו בתשלומים [לשון קדשו מצורף למטה]
Our mission is to strengthen the Jewish presence at the historic site of King David’s Tomb while using the Psalms and teachings of Dovid HaMelech to strengthen Jewish identity. We aim to inspire others and through the merits of King David and King Solomon, his son, we should witness the redemption and the building of the third Beis HaMikdash (Temple).
Our Guiding Principle
Mosdos Dovid HaMelech was established in order to raise awareness to wake up Am Yisrael and connect them to the yearning for the Beis HaMikdash. “Rabbi Shimon ben Menasiyah said, “Yisroel will not see the signs of eternal redemption until they return and ask for three things: the Kingdom of Heaven, the Kingdom of the House of Dovid, the Beis Hamikdash.”” – Yalkut Shimoni
Mosdos Kever Dovid HaMelech has taken it upon ourselves that the site of King David’s Tomb should always be filled with prayer and Torah learning, a place where Jews can flock to connect to Hashem through prayer, Tehillim, introspection and inspiration, following in the footsteps if Dovid HaMelech. “King David would pray for all matters that the Jewish people need until the coming of the Messiah – for the sick to heal, for the healthy to not become ill, for their livelihood to be blessed and for all harsh decrees to be canceled. ” – Rabbi Klonymous Kalman Epstein (Meor VaShemesh)
• Regular Prayers – At this holy site, we ensure that there are prayers three times a day, including Shabbos and yom tov.
• Refreshments and Meals – Mosdos Dovid HaMelech hosts a shalosh-seudas meal every Shabbos afternoon that is open to everyone. We have a Kiddush after davening on Shabbos and yom tov mornings with cakes, herring and drinks. Three times a year, on Shavuos, Purim and Hoshana Rabba, Mosdos Dovid HaMelech hosts a festive meal at Kever David HaMelech. We also offer refreshments for people who visit the site on Rosh Chodesh, late at night and after fast days.
• Prayer and Psalms – Tehillim (Psalms), daily prayers and Torah study take place at King David’s Tomb every day. Often, people approach us to pray on their behalf. To strengthen their prayers, they give tzedakah (charity) which we distribute to the poor and needy.
• Kollel Chatzot (The Midnight Gathering) – There is great spiritual power in the middle of the night. Scholars and rabbis meet at Kever Dovid HaMelech each night around midnight to study Torah and pray, thus bringing light into the world at the time of the greatest darkness.
• Torah Learning – Groups of people meet daily at Kever Dovid HaMelech to learn Torah. This strengthens the place because it is always filled with words of Torah, Tehillim and tefillos for Am Yisrael.
• Mishmeres Tehillim and the Holy Zohar – There are eight groups of people who recite Tehillim (Psalms) in rotation at Kever Dovid HaMelech every day, thus ensuring that there is never a moment where these holy prayers, written by King David himself, are silent at this site. Every three hours the groups rotate. At present, due to inadequate funding, the groups number just three people each. With your help we can appoint more people to each group and ensure that there is never a pause in the prayers.
• Future Plans – These include regular transportation to the site of King David’s Tomb and increasing the accessibility to the Tomb itself to enable more people to visit this holy site.
Proposed Annual Budget
Kollel Chatzot $168,000
Mishmeres Tehillim $216,000
Permanent Presence for Regular Prayers and Psalms $84,000
Meals and Refreshments $120,000
Maintenance of the Site and the Scholars $252,000
בהשתתפותך אתה זוכה ליטול חלק עם השליחים של כלל ישראל,
בכולל חצות ללימוד ואמירת תהילים,
ובמשמרות התהילים והזוהר הקדוש 24 שעות ביממה
ואמירת שיר השירים במנין לעורר זכות שלמה המלך, וכו’
במקום הק’ בציון דוד המלך ושלמה המלך ומלכי בית דוד ע”ה בהר ציון, וזוכה ליטול חלק בקירוב הגאולה בחסד וברחמים
ויזכה הוא וב”ב לשמירה עליונה משמים, מכל פגע רע ומכל נגע ומחלה ויזכה לסייעתא דשמיא מיוחדת. [מדברי מו”ר שליט”א]